Sunday 11 October 2015

Carey Lander





The news of the death of an artist you admire, particularly when you hit a certain age, becomes something of a norm. Hard to chew, yes, but ultimately easy to swallow. The cruelty of the death of Carey Lander however has been an incredibly bitter pill to swallow.

I fell pretty much fell for Camera Obscura in 2006. I had asked for some  recommendations for new music on a Teenage Fanclub message board and someone had simply posted a picture of the sleeve of Let's Get Out of This Country. Whether on whim or out of impatience I'm not sure, but I took a train to Manchester that very day to buy the LP. I've been in love with the band ever since. They have not only been the soundtrack to my life (crushes, true love, heartbreak, important train journeys, house moves, shit days at work. All that stuff) but something much much more vital than that.

It's 2008 and I'm sitting in front of my grief counselor after the death of my dad. “What do you  really really like Shaun” she asks “what's your passion? What excites you?”. The question goes into my ears almost comically simplistic but by the time it reaches my brain it actually scares me. I don't know. The grief, so over powering that all my energy and thoughts are spent on actually getting up every day, dressing and eating something. I realise in that instant the grief has robbed me of my personality. You know when they say '(S)he's not been him/herself since”? This is what they are on about. I think for a good five minutes, rooting around the corners of my brain trying to remember what I like, what I'm passionate about, what makes me me.

“Music” the word sounds concrete. Real. “I like music”

When I went to watch Camera Obscura up and down the country between 2008 and 2009, I thought it was some kind of mid-life crisis, some daft boyishness or some sort a reclamation of the glory days, but looking back I see it for what it was. It was rehabilitation into being a functional, thoughtful human being again.

I fell so hard for the band there was even a bungled attempt at promoting one of their gigs in Shrewsbury. Always on the backfoot, the gig would prove to be about a year and half to early for the towns taste and was deflatingly poorly attended. It did however give me the opportunity to see the band behind the scenes, both figuratively and literally. Camera Obscura have had a problem of being seen in some quarters as dour. “I love their gigs, but why don't they just smile” or some such nonsense would set my teeth on edge. Who says that every band have to be the Monkees between songs? Would such a pathetic comment be made if the singer was male? To anybody who have though the band were miserable, I would like to tell you two little stories, both from the Shrewsbury gig.

The first is of Carey doubled up in laughter holding a two pint bottle of milk. The rest of the band were puzzled at what was so funny. It turned out the venue (and this really sums up the place at the time) had provided (presumably as per the rider) two types of coffee, four types of tea, a bag of sugar, a jar of honey and a two pinter of milk. Only no kettle.

The second was when I was walking up to the venue pre-sound check with a case of leads or some such nonsense when I saw my favourite band in the world cadging a fag break, back dropped by Shrewsbury prison. Whilst Gav made a rollie, Carey kept doing rasperries on a giggling Tracyanne's cheek. It was moment so oddly intimate I had to back track and take a route over the Dana instead.

With respect (and love) to Tracyanne, Gav Kenny and Lee, Carey was always my favourite. Not only an incredibly talented musician (the keys on the latter verses of Keep it Clean still (still) give me gooseflesh) but ultimately an adorable, intelligent human being. I loved the way her ankles would twist when going for the high notes, her unashamed bookishness (I discovered many a novel through her recommendations) and her love and respect not only for making music but being a part of Camera Obscura. I remember reading a rumour about the title of a then unreleased Camera Obscura LP and sensing a scoop, published the erroneous title on my blog. I received a very very polite yet very very firm bollocking off Carey, something along the lines of only believing the band themselves and the magic of waiting and seeing.

A genuinely funny person, I loved her deft skills of deadpan and self deprecation and I'll miss an adorable human being who's music brought delight and escape to thousands and thousands of people and who stayed true to the cause to the very, very end.

It feels bitterly, bitterly cruel to write about a life ending so young, but Carey Lander found what she really really liked, what she was passionate about and what excited her about life and chased it. It would seem churlish, wouldn’t it, not to do likewise ourselves.




https://www.justgiving.com/Carey-Lander

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely writing Shaun - sorry I missed them ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - bit late; but just stumbled across this post. I came to the gig in Shrewsbury and it was great! I too was a big fan of the band at the time; and was puzzled by what appeared to be a scheduling blip in coming to the town I was living in at the time (I think they were in somewhere like Manchester the night before and Wolverhampton the night after, so Shrewsbury definitely stuck out!). I also remember sneaking in to the soundcheck on my walk home from work. The gig itself I remember being sparsely attended; and also there was an issue which caused the band to appear on stage quite late. Vodka Red Bulls were on offer at the Buttermarket; and by this, combined with the klater start meant that by the time they came on stage I was blotto. I stood at the front and belted out every song in a foghorn manner. At the end of the gig I ended up backstage and a bit worse the wear, made a bit of a tit of myself eating the scotch eggs and strawberries in their rider and generally being an annoying wally. You could tell the band were a bit deflated by the sparse attendance and whatever others issues; but were very polite. I particularly remember Carey being very nice, despite me being a bit of a wally and having eaten a good portion of their rider. Gav was also very stoic, putting up with a number of overly friendly arm round the shoulder photo requests. I definitely outstayed my welcome; and even tried helping them pack up their van - to which one of their roadies told me to bugger off (quite rightly!).

    I went to see them the following night in Wolves as well, but - slightly shamefaced after the previous night's events, snuck in the back and stuck to drinking water. I went to see them numerous other times over the years following, but Shrewsbury was the first time I'd seen them.

    The news about Carey was extremely sad - such a lovely, interesting woman.

    Anyway - thought you would be interested to hear from someone who remembered the gig in Shrewsbury fondly. I even kept a flyer (I think the band's name was spelt wrong, which may have contributed to the ill starred nature of the gig from their perspective!). I've still got some photos of the gig somewhere - let me know if you'd like me to send them to you.

    Martyn

    ReplyDelete